Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thankful for the Simple Things

As Thanksgiving approaches, I was thinking about what I am really thankful for. Of course, my health, family, home, church family. I am so blessed beyond what I deserve, thank you God! This year it just came to mind to enjoy the small things. You know, the things I take for granted. So here are some things I have counted as blessings and thanked God for in recent weeks - nothing is too small - just learning to thank God for the things I love and not to take anything for granted.
  • sunshine through the windows especially on a cool day
  • pulling my car into the garage on a rainy day
  • when my mom answers the phone with a hey darling or hey doll
  • scrapbooks with pictures and stories of people and events
  • reading late at night when the house is quiet and still
  • Kelsie's spontaneous hugs and snuggles
  • when a magazine I read comes in the mail
  • dinner at the Griffs
  • keeping up with people online
  • catching up with old friends
  • diet coke with lime from Sonic
  • finding enough change in my car to buy my Sonic drink
  • a warm robe
  • taking a nap on the couch on Sunday afternoons
  • saving money with coupons
  • lit candles in the house (especially Harvest)
  • listening to Kelsie and Wayne cracking up from her room as he puts her to bed at night
  • an exciting football game
  • a nice dinner with my husband
  • queso and chips
  • looking out at Wedgwood and seeing people really engaged with God - not necessarily singing and hearing the stories of how God is working through people in our congregation
  • an enlighting revelation from Tom Kemner
  • Creativity team at my house Monday nights
  • that my husband understands my limitations behind the wheel of a car
  • music - all kinds

Well, my list could go on and on but I stopped. The point is that God is teaching me to keep giving Him thanks in ALL things and really notice the small things. They are all God's blessings and it makes my favorite scripture come to life - "the steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord and He delights in his way. though he may fall, he is not utterly cast down for the Lord upholds him with His hand." Be thankful. What are your small things?

3 comments:

Genny said...

Thanks for the reminder. I've been focused on Christmas (in Reverse) since August. We do have many things to be thankful for.

Two things I'm especially thankful for:
1. fabulous, talented media guys
2. thoughtful, encouraging music ministers

Barb said...

Seems everyone's doing "thankful" lists on their blogs. Perhaps I'll follow suit. You're right, we do have much to be thankful for. And I'll second Genny's comments about the media and music ministers at church.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes simple things are the best things to be thankful for. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving - even though I completely failed your quiz and have no idea what you'll be doing! =)