Thursday, May 03, 2007

What the storm brought in

Last night we had a bad storm with lots of rain and wind. Our tornado sirens went off and we ended up in the closet for a little while. Evidentally, we weren't the only ones taking shelter. A mommy bird and her 2 babies got in the ventilation of our dryer from the outside of our house. By 4 a.m. it had worked its way down close to the wall in our utility room and it was chirping like crazy in there. We didn't have any time this morning to deal with it so this afternoon we came home to see if we could get the birds out - Wayne and Kelsie got home before me so they were able to get the birds out pretty easily. The mommy was dead and there were 2 little babies - one of them looked fairly healthy and the other one was hurt and it died. Wayne was meeting friends at the Rangers game so Kelsie and I went to Petco to see what we could do for this little baby. The guy at Petco didn't know much except he recommended some food for hand feeding baby birds. So, we got that and I decided to call our vet to get more info. They referred us to the Wildlife Rescue and so I called the 2 people they gave me to call. They gave me a little more info about how to make a nest out of a t-shirt and paper towels. I'm hoping that someone from there will come and pick it up tomorrow - they were going to try and work it out - I have a couple more phone calls to make in the morning. Anyway, here are some pics. Tomorrow is Kelsie's Field Day so I will try and post pics later this weekend of those festivities.



1 comment:

Barb said...

Sounds like quite an experience. Can't say I'm sad to be missing the crazy spring weather in Texas. Kelsie looks like a great mommy to that little bird.